Wednesday, March 19, 2003

I thought of writing that the current attack on Iraq is the cruelest thing that the government of my country had done during my lifetime. Then I had to remember that the attack has been going on for a decade. Then I also remembered that the Vietnam war also happened during my lifetime. So did the overthrow of a democratically elected government in Chile. So did the attempted theft of the 1972 presidential election, and the successful theft of the one in 2000. In the meantime, the government of my country has not signed the Kyoto Protocol, nor provided guaranteed health care to all of its own citizens, nor responded to the concerns of the rest of the world about its actions.

The best we can do today: The Senate has, for now, killed a proposal to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Hint to the oil drinkers out there: Buy yourself a nice subcompact, and sink that freakin' SUV in the tar pits. Unlike the other fossils, it deserves extinction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home