Tuesday, December 16, 2003

I could probably increase my readership by listing kitchen hints for the spouses and other family members of people on allergy rotation diets. To clarify: The rotation diet that has been handed to Rick is reasonably clear. The occasional leftovers, forbidden on both rotation diets and mold-allergy diets, represent a problem. Since many of the permitted foods are expensive, time-consuming to prepare, or both, we really don't want to throw the stuff out, so I plan to eat as many of the leftovers as possible.

So, based on my first lunchtime-leftover experiment:

* Leftover cooked buckwheat makes a really nice addition to cream of mushroom soup. Sprinkle a bit of tarragon in there if you have it. (Long ago, I used to make cream of mushroom soup from scratch, but since Rick is supposed to avoid both mushrooms and milk, I just opened up a can of Progresso's finest.) My bet is that it would go well with a bit of sour cream on top, but I didn't have any on hand.

* The above goes really well with the canned smoked mussels that you bought for your spouse before you found out that, although he is allowed to eat both mussels and the cottonseed oil they're packed in, he is not supposed to have both on the same day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home