Thursday, June 17, 2004

My official affiliation with Michigan State is essentially over, although the project isn't. Could be the best of both worlds; I can get another publication out of this, but don't have to make that 180-mile round trip any more, at least not regularly. I did have to pack up and close various loops today, which meant lots of walking. Muggy day, not always fun, but what great bugs!

* At least 3 different species of bumble bees nectaring in the honeysuckle in front of the Admin building.

* Gigantic Tetramorium caespitum (pavement ant) fight near the MSU library, plus lots of scattered, straggling alates (winged reproductives) that I think belonged to the same species.

* Lots of live periodical cicadas in the Bug House (thanks, Gary!) which made up for us not having them in Kalamazoo or Lansing, and for the fact that we don't have time to drive to Ann Arbor.

* Big swallowtails flying over the highway, and as far as I can tell, none of them kissed my windshield.

* The question marks (Polygonia interrogationis) are occupying and defending the roof of my house again.

* This morning, a tiny spider was hanging out in my bathroom sink, and pulled a threat display on me before I tossed it out the front door.

* Lots of earwigs ( or "wiggybugs", as Rick and I call them in an effort to rehabilitate them into cuteness) sneaking into the house; they're also getting tossed out the door. (" ... And STAY out!")

Good stuff in the works. Will be meeting some cool entomologists this summer. Keep watching this space!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home