Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Had a fun weekend at TRASHionals, though I’m not otherwise a fan of spending my weekends in big cities. Played with a bunch of Rochester alums. The mother and sister of one of my teammates dropped by to watch, and wound up being drafted to fill out a shorthanded team for a round or two.

Obligatory anecdote: Trash tournaments, of course, are trashy. We’d complain mightily if they weren’t. They’re also aimed at an adult audience, by which I mean that they sometimes include questions that would get repeated daily on some of your better middle-school buses for several months running without losing their impact. One of the tossups in this tournament made reference to a sex act whose name I won’t post here. This isn’t because of prudery – I was quite prepared to speak its name if my own buzz had been tallied first – but because when people go Googling for this expression, I’d prefer that they not hit my blog. (I’m sure there are many people who would find pleasure in this activity; undoubtedly, these people are also aroused by aggressively scatological fraternity hazings, but to paraphrase Michael Palin: “No, we don’t morally censure. We just want the points.”) So, taking a cue from an old Millar and Hinds comic strip about the use of – er, flowery language, I’ll just refer to it as “daisy sniffing”.

As I implied in the last paragraph, I was narrowly beaten to this tossup. Fortunately, I was beaten to it by one of my own teammates. Unfortunately, it was the teammate whose relatives were in attendance. Or, as he put it: “I can’t believe I said [daisy sniffing] in front of my mother!”

Hey, it was worth ten points. And my teammate’s mother and sister, both very brave people, seemed to handle the whole experience pretty well . And at least it wasn’t my mother.

I think I’m getting this rationalization thing down perfectly!

1 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

Was this a question that one might get from watching South Park? If so, I had one player who struggled with whether or not to buzz in early, well before the stuff mentioned on South Park, because he didn't necessarily want to admit his consumption of certain parts of popular culture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home