Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Obligatory postscript to the last post, international travel division:

Ontario: Burned myself with Tim Horton's coffee within convenient distance of a pharmacy that carried OTC codeine.

Sonora: Managed to explain to a waiter, in Spanish, that my husband is allergic to dairy.

Queensland: Found Nemo while diving on the Great Barrier Reef.

Northern Territory: Scared away two other tourists by chattering in French about the honeypot ant queen that was crawling at my feet.

South Australia: Got sworn at for parking on the side of the road while echidna-watching on Kangaroo Island.

Victoria: Saw flocks of galahs and crimson rosellas flying across a road.

England: Got a tour of Oxford from an alumnus who pointed out all the places where he'd gotten drunk.

Scotland: Tasted haggis, and decided that I prefer liver and oatmeal when served on separate plates.

New Zealand-North Island: Irked some cave weta in a national park.

New Zealand-South Island: Read all about the Rainbow Warrior at the Dunedin public library.

Tahiti: Swam at the most littered beach I've ever seen in my life.

Aruba: Acquired a recipe for the planet's best rum punch.

Bonaire: Brought traffic to a halt in the capital while incompetently parallel-parking a Suzuki Samurai.

Antigua: Earned a sailboarding certificate despite my utter inability to stay on the damned thing.

Panama: (Coming May/June 2006 -- watch this space!)

3 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Allyson said...

Any chance you can share that rum punch recipe?

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy your Panama trip -- I had a wonderful time there (hard to believe it's been ten years!). My favorite things were probably exploring Panama City (the Central Avenue corridor), the Bridge of the Americas (gorgeous views), the Miraflores Locks of the Canal, and El Valle (nice little village with a local craft market).

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I'm really looking forward to going to Panama -- it'll be a three-week research trip to two different sites at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute. I've been trying to make this work since last summer -- and all of a sudden, I got all of the people with money to agree on a fundable project, and if all goes well, I'll be there from roughly May 15 through June 7.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home