Friday, May 05, 2006

Letter meme (by way of Greg Sorenson):

This is how it works: comment on this entry and I will give you a letter. Write ten words beginning with that letter in your [web-based area of blather], including an explanation of what the word means to you and why, and then pass out letters to those who want to play along.

Greg, in an apparently sadistic mood, gave me "V". Oh, hell, why not?

Vinnie. I’ve never seen My Cousin Vinnie, but I had three cousins – count ‘em, three – with that name. Of course, my maternal grandfather’s first name was Vincenzo, so this was to be expected.

Vintners. In tribute to my grandfather Vincenzo, who made wine. I rarely drink beer any more these days, and much prefer the fermented products of Vitis vinifera to hard liquor. This may be why, although my cholesterol level is not exactly low, I supposedly have a thoroughly enviable HDL/LDL ratio.

Vernor’s. I could lose my honorary Michigan citizenship for this, but I really can’t stand the stuff. I can almost tolerate it if it’s cut heavily with lemon juice, but the naked stuff is much too sweet and too devoid of tartness for me to find it pleasant to drink.

Vanessa cardui. Sweet painted lady/Seems it’s always been the same.

Vaccination. Got three of them last month (hepA, typhoid, and yellow fever) in preparation for my upcoming trip to Central America.

Vegetarians. I’m not one and probably never will be, but I always seek out vegetarians as dinner companions when I’m on quizbowl road trips. The reason: Since vegetarians find little of interest at most fast-food or chain restaurants, they’re always willing to find adventurous ethnic eateries. And, since I don’t demand meat at every meal or even every day, I’m quite happy to follow them to totally vegetarian places. Ask me about the vegetarian pan-Asian place we found in Austin last weekend. Yum!

Venomous. Why I think big stinging bugs are cool is anyone’s guess. But I do.

Video Free Europe: My long-departed 1980s garage band. Hey, Vinnie, pour me a couple of vinos and you might get me to sing “Rocket Run”.

Voodoo, Wall Of: There was much, much more to them than “Mexican Radio”, but that could become the topic for a whole 'nother entry.

Vote. You really should.

2 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Mark said...

You know, I've never warmed to Vernor's, either. Sorry, Michigan.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Knitwear M. Groundhog said...

You know, this may be off-topic, but re: the big stinging bugs- I am terrified, terrified of wasps. Like, in a totally irrational way. If they start investigating me, will they basically leave me alone if I just keep walking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home