Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Got this meme via Greg. If you'd like to keep the meme going, leave a comment here and I'll interview you as well. Anyway, here's Greg's interview of yours truly:


1. in the layest of layman's terms: fave bug and why?

The answer to this one changes frequently, since I like so many of them and have been fortunate to meet new and different ones in Australia and Panama. So, I'll just pick the first two species that come to mind. One is the tarantula hawk wasp of the southwestern U.S., one (actually several species) of the most magnificent predators ever to stalk the planet. The other is the Allegheny mound ant, Formica exsectoides, because of its amazing tenacity. If you don't believe me, try standing on one of their mounds. You have been warned.


2. Has there been a political cause/candidate you've supported only to later have some voter's remorse?

Maybe, to some extent, John Anderson in 1980. It's not anything to do with the candidate himself; it's just that in later years my estimation of Jimmy Carter went up exponentially.



3. IIRC, you've read and endorse(d) Your Money or Your Life. How closely do/did you follow it?

Rick followed it more closely than I did, but even in my half-arsed way, I have an attitude towards money that's reasonably close to those of Dominguez and Robin. On the one hand, I don't mind spending it on things I really, really want, like a spontaneous weekend in Niagara Falls with friends. On the other, I'm really not turned on by the idea of acquiring lots and lots of stuff. I don't want a big house. I don't notice other people's expensive cars, and find them uninteresting. I have a few beloved gadgets, like my laptop and my espresso maker, and that's it. Rick and I share a cell phone, and it usually winds up left in a drawer.


4. While you aren't the biggest moviegoer, what actor/actress do you extend the most cinematic goodwill toward?

Believe it or not, I actually like a lot of actors and actresses. I like Gary Sinise even though he is a Republican. I think George Clooney is a genius. I like Jason Bateman, David Strathairn, Paul Dano, Denzel Washington, and Paul Giamatti. On the distaff side: Carol Burnett, Lily Tomlin, Dame Judi Dench, and Stephanie Cole.


5. Were you a sports fan ever? Of what team(s)?

Sure was. Baseball, baseball, and baseball. My dad liked the Red Sox. He was kind of an introverted guy, and when I was about 13, I figured out that the way to bond with him was for us to watch baseball together. Later, when I moved to the Boston area, I'd occasionally go to a game at Fenway. Kind of got out of the habit of following baseball, though, about the time I started grad school. I could probably learn to like hockey if I worked at it, but that's about it. Then again, my mom became a fanatic fan of UConn basketball when she was past 70, after never caring a bit about sports before!

5 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So that's what it was!

Hi Julie, I found your blog again today, and of course I had to see what a "tarantula hawk wasp" would look like. I was quite surprised to see that the insect photographed was a dead ringer for one I had seen in the Sacred Valley of Peru last August. Actually, the one I saw was dragging a dead spider several times its mass, and covering ground pretty well with it! I have a photo of it online (not that great) at:
http://www.johnpool.net/cusco.html

I can't argue with that as a favorite insect. Thanks for identifying it for me!

John Pool
jpool@bi.ku.dk
(postdoc-ing in Copenhagen)

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Greg said...

as Victoria says, viva reciprocity.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi, Greg! Tried to answer you earlier, but Blogger ate my post, so here goes again:

1. You went to college in Boston. What did you like most about the Hub of the Universe?

2. What are your favorite and least favorite things about quizbowl and the QB community?

3. What attracts you so much to the music of the 1980s, and what aspects of it do you consider unique and important?

4. This one's a little more personal, so I understand if you'd rather not answer. You've indicated in your blog that (like me) you're half of a voluntarily childfree couple. Have you ever had to explain this decision to family or friends, and if so, how did you navigate this often-treacherous path?

5. If you could do anything for a living other than what you're doing now, what would it be?

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I've finally put up questions for you over at my place, and I'd be happy to answer a quintet of your own.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Okay, Mark -- 4U.

1. Have you ever seriously considering living outside New England? If so, what would be your first choice of locations?

2. One thing we have in common is having taken "bent arrow" career paths. What have you found to be the most important predictors of job satisfaction vs. dissatisfaction?

3. Following up on Greg's question: A few years ago, you posted a truly moving tribute to your late sister. What characteristics of her do you see in yourself?

4. Riffing off the same post but on a much lighter note: You mentioned that your family was very supportive when you played sports. What sports did you play as a kid, and which one was your favorite?

5. And, on a still lighter note: Describe, in as many words as you like, the Tao of Gerbilitude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home